7.6.08

Overcomer

OVERCOMER

5He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, (Rev 3:5)

How often have you heard a sermon on Overcoming? How many times have you heard any reference to Overcoming? Do you think the word is in the Bible? Do you have any idea what it means?

I've seen the word, often, when I read the Book of Revelation. But since I hadn't heard much about it from the pulpit, I kind of skipped over those verses, regarding them as something not particularly important, or else something that must automatically apply to me because I was baptized as a Christian.

Though the word Overcome is one that I passed over; it was not one without power. Each time I saw the word, I felt that it somehow applied to me, and that I should give it due attention.

After all, it appears to me that Salvation and Eternal Life hinges on being an Overcomer according to Revelation.

But from many pulpits I am told, so it seems, that as long as I believe that Jesus died for my sins; and I was baptized, that my Salvation is assured, even if I backslide into hell itself.

Somehow that just doesn't feel right. Especially when I come across that word "Overcome."

So in order to determine if Overcome is a word worth worrying about, I decided to do a study on it.

To begin with, this word "Overcome" in Greek is also interpreted as "Prevail, Conquer, Get the Victory."

Below I have included all the verses that use the word interpreted as Overcome.

The first section contains those verses that apply directly to us in one form or another. Take a look at these and see what you think.

[ A note here. When studying something presented by anyone, assume the writer has an agenda, and is trying to prove a point. Assume the writer is only displaying verses and opinions that reinforce his belief or opinion. Also assume that explanations are intended to push you on a road which will end with you drawing only the conclusion the writer wants you to draw.

Cults are notorious for doing this. But they are not the only ones. Consider the Pharisees Jesus had to contend with.

Assume that I am doing the same. Check for yourself what I have presented to verify that I haven't twisted the words, or left out some words or verses, or that my commentary or order of presentation isn't divisive.

"Tradition," by definition is a custom or opinion that has been handed down from one person or generation to the next. Tradition has nothing to do with truth; although "Traditionalists" try hard to convince you that it does.

Evolution has become a tradition. So has one political candidate slamming another whether there is any truth to it or not. And now abortion and homosexuality has gone beyond mere tradition to becoming law.

When you stand before the Great White Throne, your faith and trust in Tradition will serve you not at all, which was well exemplified by Jesus' reaction to the Traditions of the Elders.

"Study to show yourself approved unto God." (2Tim 2:15) Paul advised Timothy. And that is my desire for these studies.]

11He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death. (Rev 2:11)

7He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. (Rev 2:7)

17He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. (Rev 2:17)

26And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: 27And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. 28And I will give him the morning star. 29He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Rev 2:26)

4Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. 5He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. 6He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Rev 3:5)

10Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. 11Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. 12Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. 13He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Rev 3:12)

5And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. 6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. 7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. 8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. (Rev 21:7)

1And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God. 2And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God. (Rev 15:2)

3For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? 4God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. (Rom 3:4)

The above Scriptures are universally applied to us as believers. And I think you will agree that there are great rewards prepared for those who Overcome, and dreadful punishment for those who do not, and for those who don't even try.

But what is an Overcomer? Is it all those who have been baptized? Or is there more?

Generally the churches and commentaries use this Scripture to explain what Overcome means:

4For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? (1John 5:5)

It sure sounds like all we have to do is believe, and in fact, this Scripture doesn't even mention baptism.

But just to be on the safe side, let's look at some of the surrounding verses, shall we?

1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? (1John 5:5)

Look any different to you? The words "Keep Commandments" somehow slipped out of the Traditionalist's view. I wonder how that happened?

Here's a little more that John had to say on the subject:

14I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one. 15Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (1John 2:13-14)

The Scriptures we looked at first were those spoken by Jesus, who surely must know what "Overcome" means. Let's see if there are any verses of Scripture that He applied to Himself as an Overcomer whereby we may better understand just what He expects of us:

Do ye now believe? 32Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. 33These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

21To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Rev 3:21)

20Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Rev 3::21)

26And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: (Rev 2:26)

The picture I get is that Jesus expects us to Overcome in the same way that He Overcame. Did you get that picture?

Now the question is; how did Jesus Overcome the world???
[ Did you catch the devises I used? I put things in an order that is intended to lead you to the same conclusion I hold; and I asked you questions and made comments that make it appear as if the only logical conclusion is the one I (without saying what it is) hold.

That's why it is important for you to investigate on your own, having no pre-conceived notions, and assuming every conclusion that has been drawn is wrong. That doesn't mean you will find the right answer; but the understanding you will have will be your own.

Don't think I am suggesting you run off on your own and not seek advise or research what others have said regarding a subject. Far from it; check everything you can find and learn all you can from each. Just don't think that their opinion is correct because it is a popular one, or because that person is highly respected.

Different interpretations and different desires create a multitude of different denominations and cults. There are thousands of opinions floating around for every subject. And more than likely every one of them is wrong.]

For those of you who wish to research Overcome a little farther, I have included the remaining Scriptures that directly apply to Overcome, but do not necessarily effect our study:

19While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. 20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. (2Pet 2:19-20)

1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error. (1John 4:4)

21When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: 22But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils. 23He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth. (Luke 11:22)

14These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. (Rev 17:4)

6And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven. 7And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. 8And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. (Rev 13:7)

7And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. (Rev 11:7)

15And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. (Acts 19:16)

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom 12:21)

1And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. 2And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer. (Rev 6:2)

5And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. (Rev 5:5)

19Gad, a troop shall overcome him: but he shall overcome at the last. (Gen 49:19)